I review the Lorraine 40t, a tier 9 French medium tank in World of Tanks (WoT), with a replay of a tier 9 Mountain Pass battle.
Stat line: Ace Tanker, 4.5k damage, 9 kills, 100 cap points
Strengths and Weaknesses
+ excellent top speed
+ excellent acceleration
+ good burst damage (1800 in ~14 seconds)
– huge profile
– armor is paper thin; hull is guaranteed to be penetrated by 120+ mm caliber guns due to triple overmatch
– long clip reload time (~39 sec)
– long aim time (3 sec) is higher than intra-clip reload time
– below-average alpha of 300 compared to tier 9 autoloaders
3. GLD (or Vents)
Optics is useful for out-spotting opponents, especially in late-game situations so that you have the first-shot advantage.
I prefer GLD over Vents as the base aim time is comparable to heavy tanks, and that is problematic for a tank that is an autoloader and has paper-thin armor.
1. Gauntlets was the linchpin in our victory. Here is the link to his replay: http://wotreplays.com/site/2121783#mountain_pass-gauntlets-t-54
2. while platooning with skilled players makes it easier to win in any tank, the Lorr 40t disproportionately benefits from platooning as it needs support to cover it during the long clip reloads. Many people have complained to me about this tank, so my simple advice is to platoon with friends
I talk through how I’m reading the battle as it unfolds and discuss key decisions and mistakes. My hope is that these videos meaningfully help other players improve their gameplay.
“Road to Unicum” full guide and FAQs:
If you want to support my WoT habit (thanks that’s generous of you), you can send me gold in-game, or you can donate via PayPal or by shopping on Amazon: